Monday, September 09, 2013

Some Perspective...


"The gospel is almost always profoundly critical both of our dominant cultures, but also of our best efforts at overcoming or reforming those cultures. A vision of human flourishing that simply celebrates every felt desire as good is deeply problematic from the perspective of the gospel. We are fallen creatures, and Christian discipleship in every area of life is always a practice of ascesis; of disciplining and re-ordering our wayward desires in progressively more holy directions.
" --Steve Holmes, here


*Note: I haven't read the whole article (I've gotten to "VB: What about the classic go-to texts that Christians often use in debates on sexuality?") , and I'm not necessarily agreeing with everything else in the article that I have (or have not) read. But I think the quote above holds some well-written and much needed perspective. It sums up the intersecting nettles that are "repressive/freedom/Christianity/goodness/right-ness/open- vs closed-mindedness." Okay, maybe it doesn't address the freedom part as much as I'd like it to. But I think it holds valuable perspective nonetheless.

P.S. Yes, I know, I need to write some more of my own stuff, and update things...Alas, I have already wasted at least half an hour of my time in the library that I meant to be doing literature research...

No comments:

Post a Comment