Friday, August 14, 2015

I'm a Mutt

Speaking of history, I'm a denominational mutt.

Let's see:
I was raised Catholic until I was 11.
Become a Christian when I was 13 at a youth camp run by the Presbyterian Church.
Went to a large, non-denominational contemporary Protestant church in high school that was said to be most closely aligned with the Church of Christ.
Went to a Reformed college (RCA) where I
-participated in the weekly chapel services
-took a class for my Religion 100 requirement called Many Faces of Christianity where we had to attend 4-5 different churches and write a report about them.  I think the professor was Pentecostal.
-took a class for my Religion 200 requirement from a feminist Reformed professor from Canada? Britain? who wore a bow tire and said "she'dule".  (both courses were great, btw)
-attended a contemporary non-denominational church that met in the lunchroom of the middle school because it was an early church plant from a Weslyan church
-participated in a broadly non-denominational evangelical student ministry
Spent a summer at an Assemblies of God church
Spent a year at a contemporary Protestant church that met in a downtown city storefront
Spent three years at a Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod that does contemporary liturgy like I've never seen before (David Crowder next to/ within a self-written liturgy based on Bonhoeffer.  Like a boss.)
Spent a few months at different Luthern Church--ELCA
Spent maybe 10 months at a contemporary Protestant non-denominational church.  Maybe Weslyan with a bit of Vineyard-y flair?

Good gravy.

So I'm looking for a church here.  Next on my list is a Presbyterian church.  Perhaps I'll try searching for a Weslyan or an Episcopalian church. *shrug*

1 comment:

  1. Narrator: She did not, in fact, find a Wesleyan or Episcopalian church, nor anything like it. God led her to a charismatic church instead.

    ReplyDelete