Friday, March 16, 2012

For Vanderbilt (and others)

At Vanderbilt University, and many other institutions, the ability of faith-based groups to select leaders using faith-based criteria is being challenged.  Discussions are, of course, in full-swing.  It is a discussion I find my heart engaged in in a way that doesn't normally happen to me.  I generally resist taking sides, but here, my heart is sure where it stands.  And the fact that there is opposition to it, instead of instilling fear in me, only breaks my heart more.  And so I offer this prayer.  I sometimes find my fingers useful in aiding my prayers, and it is a prayer I invite others to join and to hear.

Father, my heart is moved for these students.  They are your beloved children.  They are your sons and your daughters.  They have gone to college, to Vanderbilt, for a myriad of reasons.  But I know, Lord, that college can be such a unique experience, to learn, and to grow.  And with this decision, the opportunity to grow in knowledge of you is hindered.  My heart aches for the student who is desperately seeking, and the opportunity to encounter you is shrouded by the bushes of “tolerance.”  I pray against the messages that satan would use this situation for.  I pray their ears would be deafened to them, and instead that they may hear your Truth ringing clearer than before.

I pray for our hearts as we engage with this issue.  I pray for patience and wisdom and understanding for all involved in this discourse, that we would be quick to listen and slow to anger.  Forgive us the sins we have committed.  Forgive my sins of judgement, for I know I have spoken harshly of the administration, in my heart and out loud.  Instead, turn my heart to this prayer, that you would give his heart wisdom as they seeks to do the right things for their school.  

Help us to love one another, even when we disagree.  Teach us how to love.  Because somehow we’ve lost track of what it means, and replaced it with an idyllic version, where love is easy, uncomplicated, and always happy.  So when we hit points like this, where emotions can run high, where pain and judgement begin to become stones to throw and justification to throw more, it is hard to see how love can enter the picture.  Teach us how to love one another, even when we disagree.  

For those enmeshed in the situation, at Vanderbilt, and at other universities, I pray for endurance.  I pray for strength in their hearts and souls to continue in righteousness.  That while being patient and loving seemed easier at first, I pray for the days to come when it will seem easier to react in violence and hate.  Give them grace to continue in patience and love.  Jesus, draw them back to you then, that they may find comfort in knowing you, in knowing that you’ve been there.

In all our struggles, and in all our dismay, Lord, be glorified.  Be glorified.  Even when we don’t see how, we know that you work all things together for the good of those who love you, and we know that you will glorify Yourself.  So we pray Lord, be glorified.

In Jesus’ name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment