Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Hexaflexagons: Lesson 1

Another deviation from my norm here of contemplating life and faith:  math.

I have, courtesy of Facebook and YouTube, discovered hexaflexagons. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIVIegSt81k) I am reasonably intrigued by these...things.  I've watched two hexaflexagon videos a few times over, and have spent about 15 minutes so far playing with them myself.  So far, I have learned:

1. They seem to be like this weird multi-messed up Mobius strip...
2. The folds need to be very precise--specifically, all of your vertices of your fold points need to be exact for ease of flipping.

I think that is enough for tonight.  I look forward to sitting down with more paper, a pair of scissors, and a good work surface to explore these orgigam-atical mathematical things of mystery...

No comments:

Post a Comment