Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Spiritual Health

I'm currently feeling tired, cranky, emotionally unstable, and...worn out.

Yes, I could probably use some better sleep, and yes, I probably need to go exercise.  But those address my physical health, and what I'm feeling feels deeper than that.

I'm pondering the metaphors and language that my faith circles tend to use that use language of thirst and hunger for things in our spritiual lives...I know there a handful of examples floating around in my notes somewhere but right now allt hat comes to mind is the Beatitude "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness..." (Matthew 5ish).  And I'm wondering if those are not just flowery words, born out of trying to make a connection to something more concrete that we experience.  If maybe, like physical hunger, spiritual hunger is indicative of a lack of a substance, and just as in physical hunger, it serves as a reminder of a need to be met.  You wouldn't be hungry for something that's just an extra perk to living, would you?  You feel hungry when something that is necessary is missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment