Thursday, January 14, 2010

Desperate

I'm a grad student. I'm human. My life at present is learning the intersection of those things, and how grace is large enough for both.

I am attempting to learn what it means to follow Jesus radically. Which, I'm hoping, is a hard thing for anyone. Unfortunately, I'm also attempting to learn what it means to be a scientist, specifically at the graduate level, which, it seems, is hard for anyone.

But He has called me to both, at least for the time being. That might change in 5 months, or in 5 years. Or it may never. I don't know.

I am desperate for the understanding--the kind that sinks deep into your soul, into your bones, that grace is large enough for me. For I am human. Both following Jesus radically and pursuing academia demand that which is superhuman. I am human. Jesus, I need you.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, as I was running and praying today the word "desperate" kept coming to the forefront of my mind. I know I am desperate for the Lord, but I kept thinking about what that means. It has so many negative connotations, but it's so appropriate. I am "desperate" because I am nothing without Him. I am "desperate" because He is irreplaceable. I am "desperate" because no one else will have me (meaning completely love and accept me). We are all nothing; no one can find an adequate substitute; we are all unclean. We are all desperate for the Lord!

    Also, I love the phrase "the kind that sinks deep into your soul, into your bones"

    ReplyDelete